Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Townships

So today (september 3rd), we didn't need to go in till 2 in the afternoon.


We decided to go to the mall.  It's an actual mall.  Just like what we call a mall in America.

Connected to the mall was a bunch of other businesses.  It looked like an outlet mall from the outside. but it wasn't just clothing, it included a marine dealership, a car dealership, babies r us, McDonalds, a butcher place, two grocery stores (one called pick N pay, the other, Woolworth) and a bunch of other random businesses.  


Anyway, on the way to the mall, there are townships on both sides of the highway.  Townships are filled with thousands upon thousands upon thousands of colored and black people (that is how they are identified here, it isn't regarded as racism) living in shacks jammed right next to each other.  By “shacks” I mean, whatever piece they can find to create 4 walls, and a roof.  Some are random pieces of boards thrown together, some have steel scraps, some use tires, others use plastic.  These townships are less than a ¼ of a mile off the highway, so it is very easy to see it all.  These townships go for miles.  I am not joking here.  MILES.  some are over 5 miles for sure.  It is a lot longer than it is wide.  But it is pretty wide too, less then a mile.   These townships are the result of the apartheid. 


As we were driving and seeing the continuity of these homes, I told Anthony that it is SO easy to look at these huge townships and lose hope.  But I remember as we flew in, the plane circled around Cape Town and I was just praising God that we were finally here and being so thankful that we are following  Him.  I looked out the window and teared up.  I started whispering to Him, “greater things have yet to come, greater things are still to be done in this city”.  I was filled with so much hope and joy that God is here and Cape Town is loved.


1 comment:

Ann Durham said...

Your description of the townships was amazing...I definitely got a visual image in my mind. I'm excited to learn more about SA through your adventures!