Thursday, October 9, 2008

Accents

As far as culture shock goes, the south african accents have been the thing to slap me upside the head leaving me confused, frustrated, sort of depressed.  Then after I overcome the obstacle of understanding a person despite their strange accent, I feel victorious.

There are quite a few languages here.  So there is bunch of different accents to get use to and try to understand.  Often times I find myself not feeling motivated to interact with the people here.  It is frustrating and sometimes embarrassing to try to understand what is going on.  If I don't have A, B or D nearby, I purposely pretend to be involved with something so people won't feel like they have to talk to me.   I know, I know... sad and not right.  

With the people here at Jubs, they are so eager to communicate with me and that has meant a lot to me.  They are getting easier and easier to understand.  With most anyone that I constantly come across, I begin to understand them better every time.  It is nice to now be able to have friends to chat with other then my husband and the Bagwells.  Not that they've been a bored or anything like that.  It's just that when we are conversing with other folks I don't need to wait for someone to interpret or pretend to understand with a fake smile and a nod (those who know me well know exactly what I'm talking about).  

Anyway, the main reason why I wanted to write about accents is that I've met a few folks here from USA and WOW!!!!  They are so easy to understand!  I couldn't get enough of talking to them.  When we had to end the conversations, I  was thoroughly bummed.  One I met at the grocery store.  Another I met while hiking up a mountain.  And some come here to Jubs.  So it has been really random.  I've enjoyed it!  





  

1 comment:

Ann Durham said...

We have several South African friends here, and I often have a hard time understanding their accents as well! I loved how open and honest you were, though!